With more of us working from home these days, it’s important to keep our home free from airborne allergens such as dust and pet particles. Air conditioned office environments often filter out lots of airborne allergens but our homes don’t. Airborne allergens expert, Max Wiseberg, offers some practical advice on reducing the amount of airborne allergens your family breathe in around the home.
“Many people may be unaware of just how many airborne allergens are around in their home – they could be breathing in a potent combination of dust and pet particles. Avoiding the allergen is always key with any allergy, whatever it might be,” says Max.
Try to hang your washing outdoors on a clothes line whenever possible. Avoid drying clothes inside over a radiator as this increases the humidity in your home and can result in the growth of mould, which releases tiny spores into the air that you breathe. Mould and dust mites thrive in moist environments. “Vacuum the house regularly, especially beds and fabrics to remove dust and pet allergens. Wash bedding very regularly to remove the allergy causing particles. Damp dust surfaces so that allergens are not redistributed into the air.”
“Store cuddly toys in a cupboard to prevent pet and dust particles settling on them.”
“If you own a pet then ensure that it is well groomed and shampooed as much as possible to remove pet allergens.”
“Use HayMax Kids. This organic, drug-free allergen barrier balm can be applied to the nostrils and around the bones of the eyes in the morning, throughout the day and at night to trap dust and pet allergens, before they enter the body. Less allergen, less reaction.”
“Give your toddler a bath at night before sleeping to remove dust and pet allergens from your hair and body.”